Alan Titchmarsh, the celebrity TV gardener, planted a Pride & Prejudice Rose in the garden at Jane Austen’s House Museum in Chawton today.
The Pride & Prejudice rose, which was developed by Harkness Roses for the 200th anniversary of Jane Austen’s most-loved novel, was launched this year at the Chelsea Flower Show. A donation from the sale of every rose supports the Museum’s work.
The November/December issue of Jane Austen’s Regency World magazine is published this week and features on the cover Matthew Rhys as Mr Darcy in the BBC’s Christmas adaptation of P. D. James’s book Death Comes to Pemberley. Inside you can enjoy:
- interviews and pictures from the recent filming of P. D. James’s Death Comes to Pemberley
- how the Pride & Prejudice bicentenary has drawn many new fans to Jane Austen’s work
- the children in Jane Austen’s life, both real and fictional
- raising a royal child in Georgian England
- the Regency influence on style in New Zealand
- Christmas time, Georgian style: a trawl through a classic text and gift suggestions for Janeites
It’s not too late to subscribe and receive this issue of Jane Austen’s Regency World. To do so click here and follow the links on the right of the page.