Austen Bible on display
A Bible that was used by Jane Austen’s father has gone on display for the first time at Jane Austen’s House Museum in Chawton, Hampshire.
The Rev George Austen would have used this Bible while he was preparing his sermons and also probably in the services held at St Nicholas’ Church, Steventon, where Jane Austen was baptised and where she worshipped regularly until the family left to live in Bath in 1801.
The name of the church is written in the book, and it is thought that this inscription may be in Mr Austen’s handwriting.
The Bible is dated 1793 is beautifully bound in leather. It was printed in Edinburgh by the printers, Mark and Charles Kerr, who were the official printers and stationers to King George III in Scotland and who published a number of Bibles in the late 18th century.
The Bible has been lent to the museum by Steventon Parish Church and forms one of the exhibits in this year’s At Home with the Austens theme.
Read the full story – and other news – in the new issue of Jane Austen’s Regency World magazine.